- Purpose of project -- name of project and the scope of coverage; users who would use the project Step 2 of 2:
- Business goal -- such as improving productivity of particular users or groups
- Benefits of project
- Improve productivity -- how many hours it can save in a day; multiply the number of users who can benefit from it by the burdened user rate to quantify the productivity gain in dollars and cents.
- Reduced/avoided costs -- how much current costs such as support and service fees or future costs such as anticipated system upgrades or purchases can be avoided with the proposed solution
- Additional revenue opportunities -- additional customers, increased transaction price, increased number of transactions that the solution can generate
- Costs of project
- Costs for hardware and software
Ongoing maintenance and support costs
- Training costs
- ROI calculation -- over a typical three-year period, the ratio of net benefits (calculated as total benefits less total costs) divided by total costs, expressed as a percentage
- Additional intangible (non-quantifiable strategic) benefits of implementing the solution
- Risks, if any, of implementing the project -- including chances for cost or schedule overruns or not realizing key benefits such as poor adoption
Dig Deeper on VMware desktop software and desktop virtualization
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.