Crafting an automation strategy that gives back
A comprehensive collection of articles, videos and more, hand-picked by our editors
VMware DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler) is a utility that balances computing workloads with available resources in a virtualized environment. The utility is part of a virtualization suite called VMware Infrastructure 3.
With VMware DRS, users define the rules for allocation of physical resources among virtual machines. The utility can be configured for manual or automatic control. Resource pools can be easily added, removed or reorganized. If desired, resource pools can be isolated between different business units. If the workload on one or more virtual machines drastically changes, VMware DRS redistributes the virtual machines among the physical servers. If the overall workload decreases, some of the physical servers can be temporarily powered-down and the workload consolidated.
Other features of VMware DRS include:
- Dedicated infrastructures for individual business units
- Centralized control of hardware parameters
- Continuous monitoring of hardware utilization
- Optimization of the use of hardware resources as conditions change
- Prioritization of resources according to application importance
- Downtime-free server maintenance
- Optimization of energy efficiency
- Reduction of cooling costs.
Continue Reading About VMware DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler)
'VMware DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler)' is part of the:
View All Definitions