VMware HA (High Availability) is a utility that eliminates the need for dedicated standby hardware and software in a virtualized environment. The utility is part of a virtualization suite called VMware Infrastructure 3. In IT (information technology), the term high availability refers to a system or component that is continuously operational for long periods.
Key features of VMware HA include:
- Proactive monitoring of all physical servers and virtual machines
- Automatic detection of server failure
- Rapid restart of virtual machines affected by server failure
- Optimal placement of virtual machines after server failure
- Scalable availability up to 32 nodes across multiple servers