This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
9. - Terms to know for virtualization automation: Read more in this section
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Benefitting from task automation and workflow orchestration
- 2. - Automation is a must-learn technology for IT pros
- 3. - Finding a data center automation balance
- 4. - Expert advice: Use common sense when devising an automation strategy
- 5. - How to avoid manual resource allocation
- 6. - IT process automation in a Hyper-V environment
- 7. - What you should know to get the most out of vCenter Orchestrator
- 8. - Workflow automation software showdown: Citrix, Microsoft and VMware
VMware Orchestrator is a free vCenter feature that helps automate VMware vCloud Suite, vSphere and other virtualization management system processes.
Orchestrator's workflow engine can be used to automate bulk operations and create workflow processes for integrating existing third-party tools. It can be installed as a virtual appliance, a vCenter add-on or a standalone product for a Windows Server installation.
Orchestrator, which can be accessed through a Web or client interface, comes with a library of pre-defined workflows as well as a drag-and-drop tool for linking actions together to produce customized workflows to meet specific business needs. Orchestrator also permits the use of custom scripts for more advanced workflow and application program interface (API) design.