VMware Virtual SMP is a utility that allows a single virtual machine to use two or more processors simultaneously. The utility is part of a virtualization suite called VMware Infrastructure 3. The term virtual SMP or VSMP refers to a method of SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) in which two or more virtual processors are mapped inside a single virtual machine or partition.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Virtual SMP requires VMware ESX Server. Key features include:
- Ability to run resource-intensive applications in virtual machines
- Creation of realistic environments for software testing and deployment
- Use of up to four physical processors by a single virtual machine
- Synchronous scheduling of non-idle virtual processors
- Built-in controls to minimize system overhead
- Automatic shifting of tasks among available processors to balance workload