Looking for something else?
VMware Virtual SMP is a utility that allows a single virtual machine to use two or more processors simultaneously. The utility is part of a virtualization suite called VMware Infrastructure 3. The term virtual SMP or VSMP refers to a method of SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) in which two or more virtual processors are mapped inside a single virtual machine or partition.
Virtual SMP requires VMware ESX Server. Key features include:
- Ability to run resource-intensive applications in virtual machines
- Creation of realistic environments for software testing and deployment
- Use of up to four physical processors by a single virtual machine
- Synchronous scheduling of non-idle virtual processors
- Built-in controls to minimize system overhead
- Automatic shifting of tasks among available processors to balance workload