This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
1. - The best approaches for virtual machine backup and virtual recovery: Read more in this section
- Five reasons why a VM backup-software purchase can go wrong
- The state of virtual server backups
- Working with the limitations of storage-area-network-based backups and backup tools
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 2. - Using snapshots to defend and resurrect your virtual machines
- 3. - Switch virtual recovery efforts to autopilot with vCenter Site Recovery Manager
- 4. - Be prepared when big trouble comes knocking
VMware's proprietary backup offering has evolved rapidly with vSphere, and the company's application programing interfaces for third-party tools encourage better vSphere backup.
Take the quiz to see how well you understand VMware backup, the vSphere Data Protection (VDP) portfolio and VMware's backup-focused API set.